*Events marked with an asterisk (*) are not organized by Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition.
- This event has passed.
Bike to Shop Day – Westfield Valley Fair
May 27, 2017 @ 10:30 am - 2:00 pmFree
Like Bike to Work Day, Bike to Shop Day is an annual program that encourages people to ride bicycles for everyday transportation as part of National Bike Month celebrations. This day is to encourage people to shop by bike at local businesses. Bike to Shop Day for Silicon Valley is May 27, 2017.
Shopping by bike is a great way for people to have fun and get a little exercise while taking care of our daily or weekly errands. Unlike most work commutes, most errands are local trips of under 2 miles. That’s less than 15 minutes of bicycling for most people and only about 5 minutes more than a trip by car. Other benefits include:
- Shopping by bike is an easy way to get the recommended 30 minutes a day of exercise health professionals recommend. Plus you’re “double dipping” by using errand time as exercise time.
- Bike parking is usually closer to the shop door. It’s great to roll right up to premium parking.
- Since you’re buying only what you can carry, there’s less temptation to buy more than you need.
- Many bike shoppers come home feeling energized instead of drained, especially after a chain of errands.
On May 27, guided rides or ‘Bikepools’ will converge on Westfield Valley Fair in San Jose and valet bicycle parking will be provided. In addition, there will be prizes, giveaways and discounts for those arriving by bike.
Bikepool route starting points include:
- Calabazas Cyclery in West San Jose. Click here for a map of the 5.4 mile route. Wheels hit the road at 10:30am.
- Sports Basement in Campbell. Click here for a map of the 3.7 mile route. Wheels hit the road at 10:30am.
- Off Ramp on El Camino Real in Santa Clara. This is a gentle 9 mile round trip ride, featuring the San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail, a Rose Garden, an Ice Cream Shop, as well as all that Westfield Valley Fair has to offer! The ride home ends at Summit Bikes in Santa Clara – with a discount offered for Bike to Shop Day riders. Wheels hit the road at 10:30am. Email the ride leader to register your interest.
- Martin Luther King Library downtown, via La Dolce Velo on the Alameda. Click here for a map of this 4 mile route. Wheels hit the road at 10:30am.
What are you waiting for? Get on your bike!! Bring your friends! Bring your kids!