Join the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition team!
Community Programs Coordinator
Reports To: Program Director
Location: San Jose, CA
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a non-profit membership-based organization that seeks to create a healthy community, environment, and economy through bicycling for people who live, work, or play in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. We have a goal of 10% of trips taken by bicycle by 2025.
SVBC is hiring a Community Programs Coordinator to serve as a versatile, flexible and adaptable team member who can plug in to a variety of SVBC’s program work when needed. Those programs are intended to create lasting behavioral change that results in more people riding bikes for every day use. Some of those programs include:
San Jose Protected Bike Lane Campaign: The City of San Jose is in the process of building a network of protected bike lanes within the downtown core. During and after bike lane construction, SVBC has been and will continue to build support for the bike network amongst residents, employers and other relevant stakeholders. The program also involves organizing fun rides that get people riding on the new network of bike lanes. The success of this program will be marked by the speedy and smooth implementation of a new bike network that is well used.
Bikepool: SVBC runs a bikepool program once a week that leads group rides up the Guadalupe Trail from Downtown San Jose to North San Jose. Led by a trained ride leader, the group rides offer a social, safe and stress-free way for beginner bike commuters to start riding to work. This position will focus on figuring out how to get more folks to use the bikepool through creative marketing and outreach strategies. Success of the program will result in the number of people who regularly ride the bikepool to average 10 riders per week.
Vision Zero + Bikes: Vision Zero is a campaign to reduce to zero the number of major injuries on our roadways to zero. The Community Programs Coordinator will build safe bike riding habits amongst residents of Vision Zero corridors through bike safety education and fun rides that help all walks of life get more comfortable riding for every day use. This position would develop partnerships with community groups, working with them to host bike workshops and plan fun bike rides that increase the safety and confidence of those who live in Vision Zero corridors.
- Developing and overseeing programs
- Highly organized
- Working with volunteers and understanding how to find and support key community members/volunteers who will keep organizing bike rides on their own once inspired by the program
- Fluent in a language other than English, preferably Spanish or Vietnamese
- Work experience with families and kids
- Work experience with unruly families and kids while managing the moving parts of an event
- Comfortable approaching and talking to strangers to get them involved in bikey stuff
- Track record managing partnerships and building relationships that create program commitment and buy-in
- Experience developing programs that lead to lasting behavioral change
- Marketing campaigns/tactics that were able to get folks to show up and try something new
- Not being obsessed with designing pretty marketing materials that just sit on a shelf, never to be seen by the target audience
- Track record with successful communications and outreach strategies
- Working with, for and beside community partners
- Familiarity with Silicon Valley and its diverse communities
Part-time pay of $25/hour
How to Apply:
Send a compelling cover letter and resume, saved in PDF format, to email@example.com. Please include “Community Programs Coordinator, [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
SVBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.