Join the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition team!
Reports To: Policy Manager
Status: Full-time, salaried with benefits
Location: San Jose, CA
Duration: Full-time permanent
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition is a 501(c)(3) non-profit working to create a healthy community, environment, and economy through bicycling in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. We are looking for a passionate advocate to win campaigns in Santa Clara County and make our cities safer and more accessible for bicycling. If you like the idea of joining a fun and dedicated team trying to save the world with bikes, this is a great job for you!
The Santa Clara County Advocate will serve as SVBC’s primary policy expert and community organizer in Santa Clara County. This is a demanding but rewarding position that requires an outgoing personality; the ability to develop positive relationships with elected officials, agency staff, and advocates; strong organizational skills; and grace under fire.
Primary responsibilities of the Santa Clara County Advocate include (but are not limited to):
- Stay current and knowledgeable on projects, policies, and events of significance to the bicycling movement.
- Manage and support member/volunteer advocacy, including staffing SVBC Local Teams and building/mobilizing bases of support for multiple campaigns.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agency staff and elected officials on behalf of the organization.
- Recommend formal positions to Policy Manager and Executive Director and communicate those positions to decision makers at public meetings and in written formats.
- Track relevant issues at local, county, regional, state, and national levels, and recommend actions for upcoming or ongoing issues.
- Work with Policy Manager and Development Director to write grant applications and oversee documentation and tracking throughout grant periods.
- Work with Policy Manager and Executive Director as well as Board of Directors to develop long-term policy goals for the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or significant experience in advocacy, non-profit organization, politics, or urban planning or an impressive and highly relevant combination of skills and experience.
- Flexible schedule: work includes many evening meetings and occasional weekend commitments.
- Access to reliable transportation: work covers a large geographical area and often multiple commitments in a given day will require significant travel.
- Computer literacy including: MS Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), internet browsers and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with volunteers and partner organizations.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize activities based on defined work plan, while tracking multiple focus areas simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to keep transparent records that others can access and understand.
- Interest in promoting active transportation.
- Desire to be a team player in a fast-paced and fun non-profit office environment.
- Ability to work independently toward goals.
- Excellent follow-through.
- Upbeat and engaging personality, even in adverse circumstances.
- Ability to listen to and communicate with people of diverse ethnicities, genders, beliefs, lifestyles, and socioeconomic backgrounds in a thoughtful and engaging manner.
Additional preferred qualities:
- Skills in a language, other than English, spoken frequently in Santa Clara County, such as Spanish or Vietnamese.
- Familiarity with one or more of Silicon Valley’s diverse communities, neighborhoods, and/or business groups. In other words, a strong local network.
Salary and Benefits:
Annual salary starting at $45,000 and dependent upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with a competitive benefits package including excellent vacation, health insurance, and 401k.
To Apply: Send your resume, cover letter including salary requirements, and two professional or academic writing samples (1,000 words or less each, please) in PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Santa Clara County Advocate, [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line.
SVBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age. We strongly encourage applicants who represent the linguistic, cultural, and socioeconomic diversity of our area, in order to make SVBC a more effective organization.
This is a full-time position. Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis as qualified candidates are identified. The position begins upon hiring of a highly qualified candidate.