Reports To: Development Director
Status: Full-time, salaried with benefits
Location: San Jose, CA
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a non-profit membership-based organization that seeks to create a healthy community, environment, and economy through bicycling for people who live, work, or play in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. We have a goal of 10% of trips taken by bicycle by 2025.
In the past decade, SVBC’s staff size has grown from one to ten employees, and our impact can be seen across the two counties we serve. We are also looking critically at our own policies and programs, in order to more equitably serve the incredibly diverse population of our area and improve safety for those most dependent on bicycling for transportation. There has never been a more exciting time to be a part of Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition!
SVBC is hiring an Event Coordinator to manage the implementation of all of our events, including Bike to Work Day, our annual fundraising dinner, and our Silicon Valley Bike Summit (a one-day advocacy conference).
Responsibilities will include:
- Implement three large events and various smaller events each year. Large events include Bike to Work Day, our Annual Dinner, and our Silicon Valley Bike Summit. Be primarily responsible for all logistical components of events.
- Work with Development Director to grow corporate sponsorship through events and collaborative partnerships with other local bicycle advocacy groups.
- Design and implement events that grow the bicycle movement, increase our membership, and generate revenue to support our programs and advocacy work.
- Build a reserve of in-kind donations of goods and services for use as auction items for events and giveaways.
- Cultivate relationships with event sponsors, donors, partners, participants, volunteers, and vendors.
- Assist staff with other events as they arise, including but not limited to bike parking, media events, and general outreach.
We offer a collaborative, mission-driven environment that engages, challenges, and supports team members in reaching inspired levels of performance. This position reports to and will work closely with the Development Director, as well as the Outreach Manager.
Fiscal and Administrative Management
- Work with the Development Director to create and work within event budgets.
- Engage with Salesforce, SVBC’s customer/member relationship management tool, to ensure efficient and dynamic communication with members, sponsors, partners, and supporters.
The right candidate for SVBC’s Event Coordinator position will:
- Have a passion for SVBC’s mission and vision.
- Have two or more years of event management experience including customer relationship management, sponsorship solicitation and cultivation, and logistical expertise.
- Have management experience leading teams of volunteers to implement and achieve well-defined goals.
- Be computer-literate and Internet savvy, with direct experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Experience with social media desirable. Familiarity with the Adobe suite, web design, and some level of graphic design experience preferred. Salesforce experience a major plus.
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter.
- Possess strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Have the ability to pay attention to detail and meet deadlines on time.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to communicate effectively with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic status, and sexual orientation.
- Be able to work occasional evenings and some weekends throughout the year.
Salary and Benefits:
Annual salary starting at $50,000 and dependent upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with a competitive benefits package including excellent vacation, health insurance, and 401k.
How to Apply:
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in pdf format. Please include “Event Coordinator Candidate, [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised and what your salary requirements are. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
SVBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.