Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition’s (SVBC) mission is to create a healthy community, environment, and economy through bicycling for people who live, work, or play in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. You can read more about our advocacy campaigns and initiatives on our Better Biking https://bikesiliconvalley.org/betterbiking/ page. We are looking for interns who can help support our work at the community level and gain political and organizing skills.
● Attending public meetings and workshops
● Research policy issues related to bicycling
● Design and writing of relevant blog posts, factsheets and other organization materials
● Creating and distributing surveys; entering and analyzing data
● Assisting staff with administrative duties
● 10-15 hour per week, 3 month minimum commitment
● Demonstrated experience or interest in bicycling, walking, active transportation, policy, planning, governmental processes or other related field
● Strong oral and written communications skills
● Ability to work independently towards goals
● Strong proofreading and editing skills
● Desire to be a team player in a fast paced and fun nonprofit office environment
● Flexible schedule: work may include some evening and weekend commitments
● Access to reliable transportation: work covers a large geographical area and often multiple commitments in a given day will require significant travel
● Computer literacy in MS Office and Google Apps
● Strong social media experience
Specific Campaigns and Projects
● City general plan review to assess Complete Streets policies
● Building relationships with all the city bicycle advisory commissions (BPAC)
● Help win city support of a Vision Zero policy
● Research and update SVBC website pages such as contact info for each BPAC
This internship is unpaid, however, we can work with your university to provide course credit.
To apply, please send PDF versions of a cover letter and resume attached in email to Emma@bikesiliconvalley.org. Please include “Advocacy Intern [Last Name]” in the subject line. Keep your resume limited to one page. In the cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this position and your passion behind bicycles and/or alternative transportation solutions. In the email body, be sure to mention where you saw the internship advertised.