SVBC is looking for two Education Coordinator Interns to support our Safe Routes to School Programs and other bike safety educational efforts. This will entail providing classroom and outdoor bicycle and pedestrian safety presentations, classes and workshops at school, community centers, libraries, and other similar sites. This position will be supporting programs that engage youth grades K-12 as well as programs that provide bicycling safety and skills education to the general public. This job requires an individual with a flexible schedule available to work 10-20 hours per week.
Primary responsibilities of the Education Coordinator Intern include (but are not limited to):
• Instruct in-class and on-bike lessons on bicycle and pedestrian safety to youth ranging in age from 6-18.
• Coordinate and instruct a variety of adult education classes and events, including workshops, presentations, and skills courses.
• Coordinate with partner organizations and cities to schedule, promote, and design effective programs.
• Work with teachers, principals, school staff, volunteers, and public agency staff to implement programs that encourage more walking and bicycling within their school.
Essential skills required:
• Demonstrated ability to work with and educate a diverse group of service recipients.
• Enthusiasm for SVBC’s mission and vision.
• Ability to clearly communicate to people of different ethnicities, ages, educational levels, socioeconomic levels, and backgrounds.
• Upbeat and engaging personality.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule with minimum availability of 2 full days per week.
• Pursing degree in education, kinesiology, recreation, or related field; or significant relevant work experience.
• Experience working with a diverse population including youth and teens.
• Excellent communications and presentation skills.
• Ability to work closely with colleagues to manage education schedules.
• Reliable access to a vehicle for transportation as far north as Pacifica and as far south as Gilroy.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Google applications.
• Must be able to ride a bicycle.
• Livescan fingerprinting required before hiring.
Additional preferred qualities:
• Experience working with school districts, community agencies, volunteers, and other constituents in a professional manner.
• Demonstrated teaching, coaching, or mentoring experience.
• Ability to speak and teach in Spanish, Vietnamese, or Tagalog.
• Enthusiasm and a passion for teaching.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and your resume in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, let us know how you heard about the job.
SVBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.