Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, a 501(c)(3) non-profit promoting the bicycle for everyday use in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties, seeks qualified individuals to apply for the position of Advocacy Coordinator.
The Advocacy Coordinator will support SVBC’s policy and advocacy work in both counties, and serve as primary advocacy staff in San Mateo County. This is a demanding but rewarding position that requires an outgoing personality; the ability to develop positive relationships with elected officials, agency staff, and advocates; strong organizational skills; and grace under fire.
Primary responsibilities of the Advocacy Coordinator include (but are not limited to):
- Serve as primary contact for advocacy and policy for SVBC in San Mateo County.
- Support advocacy and policy work in Santa Clara County.
- Work with San Mateo County Health System on strategies to improve active transportation in the county.
- Attend Bicycle Advisory Committee meetings at San Mateo County C/CAG and applicable cities in San Mateo County.
- Manage and support member/volunteer advocacy, including staffing SVBC Local Teams.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agency staff and elected officials on behalf of organization.
- Recommend formal positions to Executive and Deputy Directors and communicate those positions to decision makers at public meetings and in written formats.
- Track relevant issues at local, county, regional, state, and national levels, and recommend actions for upcoming or ongoing issues.
- Work with Deputy Director to write grant applications and oversee documentation and tracking throughout grant periods.
- Work with Executive and Deputy Directors as well as Board of Directors to develop long-term policy goals for the organization.
Essential skills required:
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with volunteers and partner organizations. Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize activities based on defined work plan, while tracking multiple focus areas simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to keep transparent records that others can access and understand.
- Excellent follow-through.
- Upbeat and engaging personality, even in adverse circumstances.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in advocacy, non-profit organization, politics, or urban planning or an impressive and highly relevant combination of skills and experience.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills (both written and oral).
- Interest in promoting active transportation.
- Desire to be a team player in a fast-paced and fun non-profit office environment.
- Ability to work independently toward goals.
- Flexible schedule: work includes many evening meetings and occasional weekend commitments.
- Access to reliable transportation, California driver’s license, and automobile insurance: work covers a large geographical area and often multiple commitments in a given day will require significant travel.
- Computer literacy including: MS Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), internet browsers and applications.
Additional preferred qualities:
- Live in or near San Mateo County.
- Online writing experience (including use of HTML and/or Markup)
- Spanish language skills
To Apply: Send PDFs of your resume including salary requirements, cover letter, and two professional or academic writing samples (1,000 words or less each, please) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SVBC is an equal-opportunity employer; we welcome diversity in our office and hiring process.
This is a full-time position. Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience. Interviews will begin the week of April 8, 2013. The position begins upon hiring of a highly qualified candidate.