Safe and Comfortable Freeway Crossings
We see highway and freeway crossings (or lack thereof) as the biggest barrier to riding a bike today. With multiple lanes, high traffic speeds, grade changes, and inhospitable landings, current crossings and intersections can be extremely intimidating for even a confident bicyclist. In other cases, there is no appropriate crossing for pedestrians and people on bikes for miles, which creates a disconnection between communities. Both of these issues make it difficult or impossible for people who bike to conveniently get around. We are working through multiple venues to create safe and comfortable highway crossings through both counties.
- Bicycle and pedestrian bridge over Highway 101 in East Palo Alto
- Bicycle and pedestrian bridge over Highway 101 at Hillsdale Boulevard in San Mateo
- Comprehensive safety review of all freeway crossings in San José
- Bike friendly intersection redesign at Page Mill/Highway 280
- Redwood City Woodside/101 interchange
- Roadway Safety Solutions Team is examining 7 intersections of concern