SVBC Articles of Incorporation, October 8, 1992 (PDF, 301.6 KB)
Each board committee has a charter that describes its structure and goals in more detail. Board committees have the authority of the board in certain areas of focus spelled out in their charter. For this reason, in accordance with California State Law, only board members may serve on board committees.
- Works with staff to create and execute comprehensive development plan.
- Identifies potential major private and corporate donors and assists the Executive Director and development staff to develop a relationship with them.
- Advises staff on membership development.
- Assists staff with grant writing, fundraising events, and development materials.
- Assists in the development of programs that are cash flow positive for the organization.
- Provides financial oversight.
- Works with the Executive Director on budgeting.
- Responsible for filing organization’s taxes.
- Responsible for insurance compliance.
- Generally chaired by treasurer.
- Annually reviews Executive Director compensation.
- Manages organizational charter, bylaws, governance policy and documents, and the annual goals of the organization.
- Takes the lead on Executive Director hiring and evaluations (tied to annual goals).
- Ensures positive functioning of board and encourages board development and training.
- Manages the organizational retreat in the spring where annual goals are developed.
- Manages board recruitment with Executive Director and suggests to full board a recommended slate of candidates for elections.
- Generally chaired by the chair or vice chair.
Board & Executive Advisory Committees
Advisory Committees can be composed of both board members and non board members. As such, Advisory Committees may not exercise the authority of the Board to make decisions on behalf of SVBC. Advisory Committees shall be restricted to making recommendations to the Board or the Executive Director and implementing Board or Executive Committee decisions and policies under the supervision and control of the Board or Executive Director.
Policy Advisory Committee
Committee charter (PDF, 61 KB)
The Policy Advisory Committee generally meets on the evening of the fourth Tuesday of the month to discuss policy issues of interest to SVBC and advise the SVBC board and staff on positions. Voting members of the committee are appointed by the Executive Director or the board for one-year terms. All members are welcome to attend and asked to check the calendar for location details.
- Responsible for recommending policy positions to ED and Board of Directors.
- Works with ED and advocacy staff on various advocacy items.
- Identifies contentious items and brings them to the entire board for vote.
Executive Advisory Board
The Advisory Board is a group of business and political leaders who assist the Executive Director with development and outreach efforts. The current Advisory Board members are: Carl Guardino of Silicon Valley Leadership Group, Andy Ball of Suffolk Construction, Tom Werner of SunPower, Rick Wallace of KLA-Tencor, and Erica Rogers of Silk Road Medical.
Board Meeting Minutes
Below are the minutes from the quarterly SVBC Board Meetings. These meetings are open to SVBC members. Agenda and location information are posted on the calendar.
The previous meeting minutes, from 2009 to 2011, have been archived: svbc-board-minutes-2009-2011.zip (4MB)