At Santa Cruz Open Streets (SCOS) people will get to enjoy a car-free road for bicycling, walking, skating and other forms of active recreation. It all adds up to festive fun for bikes and other forms of active play! Along the route there will also be organized activities for folks to stop and participate in, music, performances, as well as booths providing resources for wellness and sustainable living.
Community Benefits of SCOS:
- Promotes health through physical activity (bicycling, walking, skating, etc.) and education by providing people of all ages and experience levels a unique, large, safe and fun space to be active and try new forms of physical exercise.
- Promotes sustainable and active transportation by providing participants a positive experience of bicycling and walking, as well as education about how these activities can be integrated into daily life for getting around.
- Event programming connects participants to local wellness-related organizations and businesses which offer fitness opportunities and resources such as yoga, Zumba, martial arts, dance, etc.
- Boosts local economy through business promotion and eco-tourism. Showcases Santa Cruz' natural beauty and resources, as well as outdoor, active life-style.
- Promotes community connectedness, civic pride and quality of life for residents.
- Inspires citizens to think “outside of the box”, sparking discussion about creative uses of public spaces.
Who is SCOS for?
While SCOS is open to the general public to participate in a variety of physical activities, it is especially appealing to families with children and new and non-regular bicyclists, as it provides a safe, extended and enjoyable area to learn and practice skills.