The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a small educational and advocacy nonprofit organization operating primarily in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, with the mission to promote bicycling as a mode of transportation and for recreation.
SVBC runs several growing programs and events that the Program Assistant will help coordinate. These include encouragement programs such as Bike to Work Day and Share the Road as well as Bicyclist Education for both youth and adults. Work duties will occur in a variety of environments—the SVBC office, at home, and in the community. This dynamic working environment will provide very fulfilling work for the appropriate candidate. The Program Assistant reports to the Executive Director but will also work closely with the Program Director.
• Coordinate logistics, supplies and volunteers for SVBC events: Bike to Work Day, Share the Road events, outreach tabling, bike valets, Winter Party, etc.
• Coordinate fundraising auctions including solicitation of items and donor tracking and thank-you’s.
• Coordinate events such as the Bike Away from Work Bash and volunteer events.
• Work with volunteers on program implementation.
• Ensure complete file documentation of programmatic activities.
• Help to create an organizational culture that values fun and gives people the opportunity to connect around cycling.
• Coordinate events such as Bike to Work Day, parties, rides, member meetings, and volunteer nights with a focus on sustaining and increasing membership.
• Recruit members using membership drives and other strategies to grow the organization.
• Develop and maintain effective membership retention and communication strategies.
Public Relations, Outreach and Development
• Represent the organization in a professional manner.
• Write or coordinate articles for website and newsletter on a weekly basis.
Other projects as assigned
• As this is a small nonprofit environment, staff members all take on various projects at times that are not necessarily part of their primary role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to quickly and positively establish rapport, build relationships, and gain confidence and credibility with a diverse range of individuals.
• Outgoing individual with ability to see and convey the big picture as well as manage the minute details.
• Impeccable organizational and project management skills, significant attention to detail and follow-through, ability to work on multiple tasks in a growing and changing environment.
• Mature, self-aware, high-energy, proactive, goal-focused with ability to learn and make decisions quickly, and to anticipate and perform next steps.
• Ability to be flexible and adaptable, and maintain professional decorum under stress (with humor).
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment and desire to work with volunteers who provide and need varying levels of support.
• 2 years relevant experience, and/or BS or BA degree. Relevant experience might include project management, volunteer management, other nonprofit work, marketing, or relevant course work.
• The ability to handle non-traditional and sometimes demanding work hours.
• A road-worthy vehicle, valid California drivers license and proof of insurance.
• Solid understanding of a variety of software programs, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Attention to detail and willingness to handle administrative work that accompanies program management.
• Knowledge of bicyclist skills and experience with bicycling.
• Knowledge of Peninsula and South Bay communities.
• Spanish speaking.
Hours: part or full time
Salary: DOE/commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing: Open until filled. Start: ASAP. Duration: This position is funded through May, continuation of position will depend on continued funding.
To Apply: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.