The Mattson Technology ViaVelo will feature numerous rides, events, activities, demonstrations, and information from community organizations. Bookmark this page and check back as participating businesses and organizations sign up.
Getting to the ViaVelo:
- You can use the 2010 Over and Under Tour route to transport yourself to and from the San José ViaVelo, or you can ride the route starting from and returning to the San José ViaVelo on that day.
There are a number of other fun group rides leaving from all over the valley. Ride in with one of these groups to get the day started! Rides leave promptly at the times indicated, so be ready to roll!
- The Almaden/Blossom Hill Ride will meet at the Trader Joe's parking lot at the Almaden Fashion Plaza Plaza (5353 Almaden Expy @ Blossom Hill Road). Ride will leave at 9:15 am. Brief stop at Noahs in Willow Glen before heading out for the event. The ride will be led by Britton from the San José Bike Party.
- The Campbell Ride will meet at the Campbell Community Center (1 West Campbell Avenue @ Winchester Blvd.) and will leave at 9:25 AM. The ride is 7.5 miles long and will stop at Noah's in Willow Glen before arriving at the event. The ride will be led by Cody from the San José Bike Party
- The North San José Ride will meet at the Rivermark Shopping Center Peet's Coffee in Santa Clara at 9:30 am and proceed down the Guadalupe Trail to Market and San Fernando for a total of 7.6 miles. This will be a leisurely ride down packed gravel trails. The ride will be led by Ian from the San José Bike Party
Additional ride information to share with your friends on Facebook.
Once at the event starts there will be several organized group rides exploring neighborhoods around downtown San José:
- Alameda Rides will leave from the Shasta/Hanchett Neighborhood Association booth at ViaVelo for a 30 - 60 minute ride to the Shasta/Hanchett neighborhood near downtown. Also highlighted on the tour will be the Diridon Station area, which is set to be the largest passenger rail transportation hub on the West Coast. The rides begin at 10:00 am and will depart periodically. Led by Jonathan Schuppert of the Shasta/Hanchett Neighborhood Association.
- A 4.5 mile ride along William St. will depart from the SVBC booth at 11:00 am. This ride will be led by Katie of the San José Bike Party.
- The Guadalupe River Trail will be explored in a 5.8 mile group ride led by Ian of the San José Bike Party. Meet at the SVBC booth at 1:30 pm to join this ride.
- Japantown will be the focus of a 3.5 mile loop ride leaving from the SVBC booth at 12:45 pm. This ride will be led by Lloyd of the San José Bike Party.
Maps for all the San José Bike Party rides are available through their Bike Party/ViaVelo Facebook page.
For a map of all downtown bike racks see the city of San Jose's interactive map.
For additional ride schedules leaving from ViaVelo check event flyers distributed at the event or come by and see us at the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition Booth.
At the ViaVelo:
- Get a massage or enjoy some acupressure.
- Mix 106.5 will be MC'ing ViaVelo and giving away prizes at the main stage.
- REI Certified bike mechanics will be set up.
- The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition's Bicycle Exchange will offer tune-up trainings.
- Soula Power Yoga will be at ViaVelo offering a kids' class and an adults' basic class with stretches for cyclists. The downtown studio will also have a booth with interactive yoga activities and hip-opening stretches.
- VTA will be at ViaVelo with the Traveling Bus with information on cycling and commuting.
Children's Block - sponsored by Kaiser Permanente:
- Activities with Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors' Dave Cortese
- Activities with San José Councilmember Rose Herrera
- Activities by Lucile Packard Children's Hospital
- Button making
- Carbon footprint games
- Nutrition games
- Fit For Learning physical and nutritional activities by Santa Clara County Office of Education
- Native plant and tree games by Guadalupe River Park Conservancy
- Yoga class for children with Soula Power Yoga
- Greenbelt Alliance - Diridon has the potential to be a world-class transit hub. Come by and find out how this station will enliven downtown San Jose.
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition - Stop by to find out about bicycle advocacy in the Silicon Valley.
- TransForm - come and play the Bus Rapid Transit Question Wheel on Alternative Transportation.
- American Diabetes Association
- Alzheimer's Association
- Community Child Care Council of Santa Clara County
- Councilmember Rose Herrera
- East Santa Clara Street Business Association
- First 5 Santa Clara County
- Guadalupe River Park Conservancy
- Livestrong Challenge, San José
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital
- National Brain Tumor Society
- National MS Society
- New Hope Chiropractic
- San José Earthquakes
- San José State University Department of Meteorology & Climate Science
- Santa Clara County Office of Education
- Santa Clara County Parks
- Traffic Safe Communities Network/Santa Clara County Public Health
Sustainability and Green Living:
- City of San José Integrated Waste Management
- City of San José Solar Program
- County of Santa Clara Home Composting Education Program
- Our City Forest
- Pacific Coast Farmer's Market Association
- Bicycle Express - Fix-a-flat clinics and wheel spin.
- iMiNUSD- Come check out the trick jam and stop by their booth.
- Hyland Family Bicycles - Basic bike repair and hosting fix-a-flat clinics.
- Caltrain - For you bike commuters stop by and find out about Bikes On Board.
- VTA - Don't know how to put your bike on the bus. Stop by try it yourself.
- City of San José Department of Transportation - Stop by and see what great things our DOT is doing to make downtown livelier and safer.
- Broadway San José
- Dave Stein
- Jackie Rocks Band
- Indian-Fusion Dance Academy
- Moonshiner- A Dylan Tribute
- One Eye Mind
- Overfelt High School
- Vovinam Lion Dancers
While you’re enjoying the ViaVelo, visit The 88 to take a peek at what it means to live local. The 88 receives a perfect score on WalkScore.com because its residents enjoy so much just steps from the front door--including markets, shops, and theaters. The 88 will be providing tours of its 18th floor model homes and stunning amenities every hour on the hour during ViaVelo. Learn more at www.The88sj.com.
This list is partial and subject to change. Check back for all the latest participants and activities!