Wednesday, April 6
This was a two-day event. For the event in San José on the 8th, please click here.
To see presentations, click on the link next to a speaker's name.
1:00 - 1:30
Registration, refreshments, and networking
Catering will be sponsored in part by Chipotle.
1:30 - 1:45
- Jean S. Fraser, County of San Mateo Health System Chief (PDF of presentation [.5MB])
1:45 – 2:20
Section 1: Where do we want to go?
- Keynote: Scott Bricker, Director, America Walks (PDF of presentation - thanks to Roger Geller and Greg Raisman at the CIty of Portland for slides and data [37.7 MB])
Section 2: Where are we now?
2:25 – 3:10
2a. Government policy making
How is bike policy made? How are projects decided upon, funded, and carried out? Panelists will explain how the agencies, organizations, citizen task forces work together and share best practices.
- Ina Gerhardt, Bay Area Bicycle Coordinator, Caltrans
- Jonathan Gervais, arks and Recreation Director, City of Belmont
- Gary Heap, Senior Engineer, City of San Mateo
Moderator: Lilia Scott, Senior Transportation Planner, VTA
3:10 – 3:25
Networking break, snacks
3:25 – 4:10
2b. Community events and involvement
We will explore the many ways the community can get involved in cycling and other active transportation activities in the county. Panelists will discuss how cycling advocates can work in partnership with community efforts.
- Hon. Carole Groom, San Mateo County Supervisor
- Karen Sumner, Transportation Programs Manager, Peninsula Traffic Congestion Relief Alliance (PDF of presentation [5.2 MB])
- Joe Walmsley, Drive Less Challenge
Moderator: Jeff Selzer, General Manager, Palo Alto Bicycles
4:15 – 5:00
2c. Corporate support
What are corporations doing to support employee and/or customer cycling? What challenges do they face. Panelists will discuss various ways corporations can promote health and environmental stewardship through supporting cycling.
- Andy Ball, President and CEO, Webcor Builders (PDF of presentation [14 MB])
- Jessica Herrera, Transportation Coordinator, Facebook (PDF of presentation [2.7 MB])
- Rich Schwerin, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Oracle (PDF of presentation [.2 MB])
Moderator: Rick Sutton, Founder, President & CEO, Plus 3 Network
5:00 – 5:10
5:10 - 6:10
Section 3: How do we get there from here?
In break-out working groups, participants will share insight gained from the day and discuss ways to continue improving cycling in San Mateo County. Monitors will use Twitter to share revelations with the other groups and the online community.
6:10 – 6:30
Reconvene and share new insight