Reports To: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, salaried with benefits
Location: San Jose, CA
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a non-profit membership organization that promotes bicycling for people in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, with the goal of having 10% of trips taken by bicycle by 2025.
In the past eight years, the SVBC budget has grown from $40K to $800K annually primarily through grants, contracts, and event sponsorship. Staff size has grown from one to eight employees. There has never been a more exciting time to be a part of Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition!
SVBC is hiring our first-ever Development Director. The Development Director will lead the development team and build a multi-faceted approach to raising income to support our programs and advocacy work. The new Development Director will have an entrepreneurial style and build a dynamic development program to diversify and expand SVBC’s revenue.
The primary responsibilities of the Development Director will be to secure new corporate gifts, increase the number of individual donors and members, and to manage and grow our events in a manner that support fundraising. The new Development Director will lead an effective team that will grow our membership as well as activate our members as donors. We need someone who brings structure, systems, creativity, positive energy and a track record of fundraising to the job.
Responsibilities will include:
Provide strategy and oversight to achieve balanced and sustainable revenue growth for the organization. Cultivate new individual donors and provide stewardship of existing donors. Continue to build upon the successful corporate sponsorship model the organization has built.
- Engage the board, volunteers, and staff to build a major gifts program.
- Work with the Deputy Director to continue and grow foundation funding and manage foundation relationships.
- Coordinate all reporting for donors, foundations, and sponsorships.
- Staff the board’s development committee by providing revenue reports, collaborating with committee chair on agenda development, and engaging the board in fundraising efforts, particularly our major donor campaign.
- Work with the Advocacy Coordinator to develop the fundraising potential within advocacy campaigns.
- Grow corporate sponsorship through events and collaborative partnership with other local bicycle advocacy groups. Grow current sponsor opportunities and cultivate new sponsors including multi-event sponsorships.
- Design and implement events that grow the bicycle movement and generate revenue to support our programs and advocacy work.
- Cultivate relationships with event sponsors and partners.
- Be familiar with event implementation and manage the Event Coordinator who is primarily responsible for logistical event implementation.
- Move members up the ladder of giving and increase average gift.
- Develop and manage membership recruitment campaign to substantially grow from 1,700 current members to 5,000 members by July 2015.
- Write and coordinate member appeals.
- Maintain and develop donor prospect lists. Work with the Board, Executive Director, and Deputy Director to enhance major donor relationships.
- Support the Deputy Director in expanding our Bicycle Friendly Workplace program.
Provide strong leadership and management to SVBC’s dedicated development team of two permanent employees. Direct reports include a Membership & Volunteer Coordinator and Event Coordinator. SVBC anticipates hiring a Communications Assistant later in 2014 that will also report to the Development Director. We offer a collaborative, mission-driven environment that engages, challenges, and supports team members in reaching inspired levels of performance. This position is a member of the organization’s management team.
Fiscal and Administrative Management
- Work with the Deputy Director and other staff to develop a communications strategy.
- Lead on implementation of communications in coordination with the Deputy Director until the Communications Assistant is hired.
- Manage the Membership & Volunteer Coordinator staff position and the Event Coordinator staff position. Manage the future Communications Assistant.
- Understand the financial framework of the organization and monitor appropriate financial measures including membership retention, membership gains, major donor, and event revenue.
- Utilize Salesforce, SVBC’s customer relationship management tool, to ensure efficient and dynamic communication with supporters.
The right candidate for SVBC’s Development Director position will:
- Have a passion for SVBC’s mission of creating a livable and bike-friendly Silicon Valley and SF Peninsula; familiarity with bicycling issues or related policy issues.
- Have three or more years of development experience including customer relationship management, major donor identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors and prospects; event management; direct mail appeals, and online fundraising.
- Have management experience leading teams of volunteers and staff both under your direct supervision and not under your direct supervision to achieve and implement well-defined goals.
- Be computer-literate and Internet savvy, with significant experience in using MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), and experience with fundraising and/or database software required. Salesforce experience a plus.
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to communicate effectively with people of all ages, abilities, cultural groups, economic status, and sexual orientation.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is to be determined, depending upon experience. Full-time, exempt position with a competitive benefits package. Will consider a flexible schedule for highly qualified candidates that are interested in working 75% to 80% FTE.
How to Apply:
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Development Director Candidate, [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line, and be sure to mention where you saw the job advertised and include your salary requirement. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
SVBC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.