UPDATE 7/23: Applications for this position are no longer being accepted. Thank you to all who applied.
SVBC is hiring Safe Routes to School Coordinators to administer on-site bicycle and pedestrian safety education to elementary and middle school students. These positions are crucial to introducing students to valuable walking and biking safety skills so that they can grow up active and healthy. Two positions are available. Successful applicants will be expected to assume a leadership role in the coordination of programs in either the Redwood City area or the City of Santa Clara.
- Coordinating and implementing in-class presentations on bicycle and pedestrian safety skills and traffic rules.
- Coordinating and implementing on-bike and on-foot skills courses for multiple classes of students.
- Working with parents to encourage more active transportation outside of school activities.
- Working with teachers to integrate walking and biking education into regular curricula.
- Traveling to school sites and transporting educational and skills course materials.
- Conducting on-site counts of walking and biking participants before and after school hours.
- Entering data from counts and surveys into a database.
- Developing safety, health, and environmental education curricula on an ongoing basis.
- Previous experience or training in education or child-care fields.
- Previous experience in program coordination or management.
- Skill in basic office software, including Microsoft Office applications and web browsers.
- Ability to stand for six or more hours and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Positive attitude and patience.
- Comfort in public speaking situations.
- Ability to work with volunteers effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different age groups.
- Passion for bicycles and/or walking.
- Graphic design and web/social media experience a plus.
Successful applicants will need to undergo background screening and fingerprinting.
These are full-time positions during the school year. Part-time employment options may be available outside of the normal school year. Interviews for these positions will begin in mid-July, with work beginning in early August.
Compensation is based on experience, availability, and extent of agreed-upon responsibilities.
To Apply: send PDF's of your resume, including salary requirements, cover letter, and two professional or academic writing samples (1,000 words or less each, please) to email@example.com.