UPDATE 7/23: This position has been filled. Thanks to all who applied.
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is seeking a talented and energetic Event and Volunteer Coordinator to help with valet bike parking at community events, outreach tabling, and volunteer recruitment. The hours for this Event Coordinator position are approximately 20-30 hours/week through the end of September, with the potential to continue in a program support role.
Our valet bike parking team works out in the sunshine at festivals and concerts around Silicon Valley and on the Peninsula. You'll meet hundreds of wonderful bicyclists, take care of their beloved bikes, and make it possible for them to ride to great local events. If you want to park awesome bikes, work with a great team of people, and attend fun events for free, join SVBC.
This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest in event logistics and planning who wants to get a better understanding of the behind-the-scenes aspect of events. The Event and Volunteer Coordinator will have the benefit of learning critical event organizing and planning skills from experienced staff. We will challenge you with a fast-paced, dynamic environment and a hard-working team.
Applicants should have strong people skills and enjoy working in a team environment. This position requires excellent people skills that will be drawn on when scheduling, training, and working alongside volunteers. Living, going to school, or having worked in the South Bay or Peninsula are a plus. This position will report to the Membership and Event Coordinator.
Skills and knowledge to be gained
- Develop experience planning and executing activities supporting Valet Bike Parking.
- Learn to manage and provide clear and concise logistical details to volunteers and keep them motivated with acknowledgement and appreciation.
- Gain inside experience with a highly active and growing non-profit organization.
- Gather and transport bike parking racks and supplies.
- Actively recruit, communicate with, and manage volunteers.
- Create reports to track event details.
- Work with event organizers in a professional manner to finalize logistics and preparation details.
- Strong interest and/or experience in event planning
- Possess strong organizational/multi-tasking skills
- Be a self-starter, able to take initiative on individual projects
- Excellent and persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Ability to stand for eight or more hours and lift up to 50 pounds
- Working weekends is mandatory
- Professional demeanor
- Experience motivating and managing volunteers
- Familiar with biking in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a small educational and advocacy nonprofit organization operating primarily in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, with the mission to promote bicycling as a mode of transportation and for recreation.
This is a part-time contractor position.
Initial interviews will start the week of 6/18/12; anticipated start date 7/10/12.
To Apply: send resume and cover letter to email@example.com