Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition is hiring a Safe Routes to School assistant to administer on-site bicycle and pedestrian safety education to elementary and middle school students. This position is crucial to introducing students to valuable walking and biking safety skills so that they can grow up active and healthy.
- • Coordinating and implementing in-class presentations on bicycle and pedestrian safety skills and traffic rules.
- • Coordinating and implementing on-bike and on-foot skills courses for multiple classes of students.
- • Working with parents to encourage more active transportation outside of school activities.
- • Working with teachers to integrate walking and biking education into regular curricula.
- • Traveling to school sites and transporting educational and skills course materials.
- • Conducting on-site counts of walking and biking participants before and after school hours.
- • Entering data from counts and surveys into a database.
- • Previous experience or training in education or child-care fields.
- • Skill in basic office software, including Microsoft Office applications and web browsers.
- • Ability to stand for six or more hours and lift up to 50 pounds.
- • Positive attitude and patience.
- • Ability to work with volunteers effectively.
- • Ability to communicate effectively with different age groups.
- • Passion for bicycles and/or walking.
- • Graphic design and web/social media experience a plus.
Successful applicants will need to undergo background screening and fingerprinting.
This is a full-time position.
Compensation: Competitive salary to be discussed, plus health, vacation, and 401k benefits.
Initial interviews will start the week of 1/16/12; anticipated start date is 1/30/12.
To Apply: send resume, cover letter, and two professional or academic writing samples (1,000 words or less, please, saved as two separate PDFs) to firstname.lastname@example.org.