Fair readers, forgive me while this blog entry delves deep into the language of policy-wonkiness. Hopefully several of you will be interested–after all, SVBC is an organization focused on systems change.
Recently, several SVBC members, the San Mateo County Heath Department, and other advocacy group leaders were invited to meet with C/CAG staff. The purpose of the meeting was to hear the staff and consultants' thoughts on the comments they had received regarding the Countywide Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan update. The updated draft will be officially shared with the C/CAG B/PAC on July 28th.
I believe significant progress has been made. Highlights include:
- * C/CAG staff reiterated that they would provide us with a charter, or at least a clear mission statement, for the C/CAG BPAC.
- * They recognize the need to make the C/CAG function for the county overall, including other agencies such as SamTrans and the Transportation Authority (TA).
- * They added more projects overall so that the county can demonstrate greater need in MTC's regional bike plan.
- * The C/CAG staff mentioned having the TA Highway Plan incorporate complete streets policies.
- * There was discussion regarding better geographical representation on the C/CAG B/PAC.
- * They will be enhancing the piece on bike parking in the county bike/ped plan.
I look forward to continuing our work with C/CAG staff to create complete streets in San Mateo County, where everyone can safely and conveniently choose bicycling as an option.